� 1997-2006, Wallace L. McKeehan, All Rights Reserved
David Burket-Index

Captain Augustus Harris Jones

Ann Roseanna Randle

Augustus Harris Jones was born in 1812 in Georgia, probably in Jackson County, of parents Russell and Sophia Harris Jones Jr. He was in Texas in 1835 and among the body of armed volunteers who took control of Goliad in fall 1835 soon after the confrontation at Gonzales the first of Oct. He was a Lieutenant in a unit known as the Matagorda Volunteers under the command of Capt. George Collinsworth and officially appointed 1st Artillery Lieutenant in the Federal Republican Army of Texas by the provisional government on 10 Mar 1836. He was a signer of the pledge of the Collinsworth company to protect with their lives the citizens of Guadalupe Victoria who upheld the "Republican institutions of the Govt. of Mexico and of Coahuila & Texas under the Constitution of 1824."

The volunteers under the command of Capt. Geo. M. Collinsworth, being about to take up the line of March for Goliad, and to give the population of that town protection against military domination, deem it duty which they owe to themselves, to their fellow soldiers embodied else where in the same patriot cause, but more especially to the citizens of Guadeloupe Victoria, to declare in a clear and unequivocal manner, their united and unalterable resolution to give ample and complete protection to the citizens of this town, and to those also of every other which they may enter---requiring only, that, the citizens of said towns stand firm to the Republican institutions of the Govt. of Mexico and of Coahuila & Texas under the constitution of 1824; and for the redemption of this resolution, we pledge our lives, our property, and our sacred honour.  Town of Guaideloupe Victoria, Oct. 9th. 1835

Signed  Geo. M. Collingsworth, Capt. H. T. Davis, James W. Moore 1st Lt., R. O. Graves, D. C. Collinsworth 2d.--do, Jas. Rawles, Ira Ingram--cam.y,  Thos. J. Reed, R. Stevenson---O. T., A. Scott, Tho. Anderson, Thos. Thomson, H. F. Armstrong, Benj. White, J. W. Baylor, B. J. White, J. B. Barton,  N. B. Williams, T. M. Blake, D. George, R. Mercer, T. C. Hamilton, L. McCullough, M. Hicks, W. New, Jno. Hall, J. L. Osborn, Jno. Flick, G. W. Paine, Jno. Ham, R. S. [L.?] Reding,  A. H. Jones, B. Rawles, F. Jones, J. P. Bordon, W. J. Lightfoot, Jno. Bowman, D. Martindale, W. Carleton, Saml. Wildy, W. Cummings, P. Dimitt, Jno. Duncan, J. A. Padillo, Jas. Duncan,  M. Carbaball

He was under Capt. Phillip Dimmit's command in the Goliad garrison in fall 1835. He took part in the Siege and Battle of San Antonio de Bexar in Dec 1835 which he describes in a letter to his brother below. Captain Gus Jones, by which he was known to friends and family, returned briefly to JacksonCo, GA to marry 15 year old Anne Roseanna Randle in 1839, a second great grandaunt of the author (WLM), after which the family and additional Jones relations returned to San Felipe and then the Gonzales area as described in a letter by his mother Sophy Jones in 1841. Capt. Gus' brother William E. Jones was a judge in San Antonio and captured while in court during the Woll invasion and imprisoned in Perote Prison in Mexico.  Jones served in the House of the Ninth Congress from 1844 to 1845 as the representative from Gonzales.   He served as a General in the Mexican War of 1846 under General Zachary Taylor.   According to author Paul Boethel, Gen. Jones lived in Petersburg, LavacaCo sometime after 1852 and was the owner and operator of a "certain house known as the old Tavern Stand" at Petersburg.  He died in Gonzales on 10 Apr 1877.

Augustus Jones was a close and trusted friend of Col. James Fannin who relied on him for intelligence and supplies for his troops near San Antonio prior to the Siege and Battle of Bexar from Capt. Jones position in Goliad. Capt. Jones' letters give insight into the day to day life and values of the period, indicated his foresight in looking out for the Republic's economic future as well as give insight into the personal squabbles over leadership in the heated days of the Revolution.

The following letter was in response to a letter of 21 Oct 1835 from J.W. Fannin in Bexar requesting supplies:

GOLIAD, October 27, 1835. MAJOR J.W. FANNIN JR., Camp near Bejar DEAR MAJOR:  Yours of the 21st came to hand a short time since, and has been partly attended to by the wagons. You will receive one wine box of liquors, etc., also two small bags sugar and coffee. The people here are opposed to sending anything like provisions privately. I have therefore had to send you as little as possible. The articles sent are put up in good order and directed to J. W. Fannin. As regards Southerland, I have attended to him some time since and I believe satisfied nearly all---these things are sent under his charge---no other chance. I am not permitted to leave here-I should be glad to be with you if there is a probability of your remaining before Bejar any length of time. I would be glad if you would get a permit for me to go to your camps (from General Austin), this you can do as we have business together. General Austin ought to be made acquainted with the situation of affairs here: if some persons are not sent here who can have no possible interest in this section of country every particle of provisions taken at this place will be proven to be private property. Some person ought I think be sent to investigate this matter so soon as Bejar falls. It might be a very great saving to Texas. We do not want to set up for ourselves with a heavy public debt. I have been on my horse for the last twenty hours, night and day, procuring wagons and teams to send to you, and am now very unwell, not able to write as I would wish. Your friend, truly, etc. A.H. JONES

In response to overt desires of multiple volunteers at Goliad to go to Bexar and dissatisfaction among many of his style of leadership, Dimmit persuaded Austin to issue orders prohibiting men from leaving without permission of Dimmitt. Despite Lt. Jones mention that he was not allowed to leave Goliad in the above letter, on 27 Oct 1835 just prior to Capt. Dimmitt's assault on Lipantitlan, a group of officers and men which included Lt. Jones departed the Goliad garrison to join the Siege of Bexar apparently without the consent of Capt. Dimmitt. They were ambushed by Indians and Lt. David M. Collinsworth was killed and mutilated. A letter to Stephen F. Austin from Capt. Dimmitt of 30 Oct described the event and essentially accused the group of mutiny.

Fort Goliad, Oct. 30th. 1835 To Gen. Stephen F. Austin,  Com. in Ch. of the Army of the People, Dear Sir,  Since the date of my last (28th inst.) by hands of Maj. Geo. Southerland, who left this on that day, in charge of the teams, dispatched to Head Quarters with provisions, events have transpired here which call for a free and full exposition.  On the receipt of yours of the 23d ins. prohibiting any volunteer the option of leaving this fortress without permission from the Commandt., under the penalty of being reported and published a deserter, it was publickly read on parade to the men under my command. On some, it had a salutary effect, and produced a change of purpose, highly favoarable to the success of the campaign. On others, it either had no effect, or, if any, a very differeut one, from that intended.

Yesterday, three officers, Dr. Erwin, Surgeon; Lieut. David M. Collinsworth, and Lieut. A. H. Jones; and three privates, Milton Hicks, Edward B. Wooten and ---Atkinson, mustered and left this fortress, not only without permission, but in open contempt of the general order above quoted, and took up the line of march for Head Quarters, near Bexar. This occurred about 4 o.c. in the afternoon: and a little after 9 in the evening, five of the party returned, and four, Lieut. Jones, Wooten, Hicks, and Atkinson, came into the fortress, reporting the loss of one of their number---Lieut. Collinsworth. Not considering themselves under my command, no official report was made to me. Their verbal statement, however, is, that they were fired on by a party, lying in ambush by the road side---that the fire was instantly, succeeded by a shrill yell., at which their horses were greatly alarmed---one of the party was thrown from his horse---one lost his gun and all the others, one excepted, were carried some distance before they could stop their horses. They further state, that, at the crack of the enemy's guns, Lieut. Coilinsworth was seen to fall from his horse and heard to utter the exclamation---"O Lord"---Jones and Wootten say they were in favor of returning to the scene of action, but as the others were unwilling to do so, they all returned, without firing a gun, and without making an effort to relieve, or bring off their wounded companion.  He was therefore left on the ground, to the mercy of the enemy.

Early this morning, the five survivors returned with 8 or 10 others, to the scene of action, or rather, of attack and flight, for the purpose of reconnoitering and bringing in the dead.  It would be doing much injustice to confound these volunteers, indiscriminately together. That Doctor Irwin originated, and headed the mutiny; and drew the others, either directly, or indirectly into it, proof abundant, and of the most respectable character, can be furnished from here, on the shortest notice. The Conduct of this man too, on former occasions, has been highly improper, unmilitary, and very rash.  

Oct. 31st. 1 o.c. P.M---Since writing the above, the party that left yesterday morning, have returned with the dead body of the deceased, David M. Collinsworth---He was shot in the neck, scalped, and mangled in the face with a tomahawk or hatchet. The Deceased was buried to day, with the honors of War. From the statements of those who returned with tlte Body, there can be little doubt that the assailants were savages. The number quoted, varies from 6 to 10---The assailants did not even wait to divest the body of its apparel---The cap only was missing. His gun was probably taken, as it was not found. His belt, shot-pouch, etc. etc. and pocket money $7.37 1/2 were found on him, and returned. These facts furnish their own comment, and supersede the necessity for any remarks by me.   A recruit of 20 men arived here last evening from Bay Prairie. An Iron, Six pound Cannon, with a small supply of ammunition, from Matagorda, has been forwarded by order of the Committee there, In compliance with my request, and is now at Guardeloupe Victoria.   I have ordered a detachment of' 35 men, under the Command of' Adjutant Ira Westover, to proceed forthwith to Le Panteclan, the garrison on the Nueces, reduce uid buru it. The arms and ammunition if possible will be brouglit off; and, if practicable, the public horses taken, and driven to this place.  The citizens of this vicinity have furnished 20 horses for this campaign---and those of Guardeloupe Victoria. have made a tender of thirty head of Beeves for the public service.  I am informed, that, Capt. Savriago has left S. Felipe, on parole, granted by Zavalla and others---and that he has gone to Matamoros. but I have ordered the making of every officer at the Nueces prisoner, if possible. I am informed, that, a party of 25 or 30 Comanches have been seen near Baing's in the neighborhood of Guardeloupe Victoria.  On the reduction of Bexar, the earliest instructions concerning the disposition of the Arms and ammunition at this place, are particularly solicited. Your instructions too, relative to the property left in the houses from which the flour, sugar, coffee, candles, soup, liquors, etc. etc. have been taken, the title to which is contested, or is supposed by some to belong to private individuals---by others, to the nation---are earnestly solicited.  P. Dimitt Com g

As one of his last actions as Commander-in-chief of the Federalist Army at Bexar, Austin relieved Capt. Dimmit of his command and turned it over to Capt. George Collinsworth on 18 Nov 1835 on the grounds that Dimmitt had mishandled and mistreated Federalist allies Gov. Viesca and Col. Jos� Mar�a Gonzales as well as local Goliad citizens. Lt. Gus Jones describes the scene at Goliad to his friend James Fannin at Bexar:

Goliad 12th Novbr 1835 Dear Majr. Yours of the 3d inst was handed me on my arrival at this place yesterday---it was truly satisfactory to learn that my last to you had recd your attention and had the desired effect the contents of which you vouched for are strictly true not one syllable but of that character---I also have the pleasure of informing you that the whole matter has been adjusted between Capt Dimitt and myself he has pledged me his honor in every manner---that he never has intended anything to injure me in any way---and I have been assured by my friends here that he Capt D has spoken of the matter often and with tears declared his innocence of an attempt to injure Lieut C. or myself and regreted the precise course which he pursued---I have always been of opinion that the aim would be at Doct. Erwin, he has I have no doubt acted incorrectly, in fact I am sure of it but let me add he may have cause and Dear F. I am not the man to desert a friend because the world does---Capt Dimitt refuses to speak to him others follow the example---Doct Erwin has joined the volunteers Grays

On the 5th inst we 40 in number had a battle with 70 odd of the enemy on the bank of Nuesus River and "flogged them like hell"---from our situation not more that 15 of our men were brought into action---the enemy commenced the attack while we were crossing the river---they admited 3 killed and about 14 wounded several mortally information since says 5 killed 17 wounded and 20 missing---The best of the story is yet to come---by some means about 20 of the Irish in that quarter had been induced to join the enemy---among them the alcalda Judge and Sheriff---all three were badly wounded---we have the pleasure of saying that we shot the ("12 pounders") you can hear the particulars of Erwin I had intended going with the grays but Capt. D has promised his men to leave here in a few days---2 or 3 for Bexar

Capt Dimitt says that he numbers 70 men and can leave this place with 60---his enemies here say that he will not leave here atall---but will hold this place---to protect his own property in this section of country---the capt of the Grays can give you any information that you may desire from here &c,  A. H. Jones

The foregoing describes the encounter at Lipantitlan. In the following addendum (N.B.), Capt. Jones comments on the tensions between Dimmitt, Governor Viesca of the State of Coahuila y Texas and Col. Jos� Mar�a Gonzales for command. In June 1835, Governor Augustin Viesca, a fierce opponent of the centralistas, had delivered an emotional plea to Texans of the coming dangers which was largely ignored. Viesca and Gonzales joined the Texas independence movement in Goliad by uniting with the command of James Grant.

Capt Dimitt has refused to receive Viesca as Governor it has caused some dissatisfaction among the men---Col Gonzales with 30 troop from the interior are here and from the maner in which he was recd does not know what course to pursue---he it is said is very much mortified   I understand that he says if he was at Bejar 250 Coss Cavalry which he has once commanded would force their way out and join him    Marshall law has been proclaimed in this place---that has also caused discontent no body will come to town---the citizens or many of them---have left this section altogether---to keep peace in camp I hope we will be able to move shortly a good deal of sickness in camp---15 reported this morning quite unwell---as the men are not permited to go to Bexar many make excuse to go home and such as cannot be denied---or will not be N. B I write you thus for your own information knowing that you get nothing of this kind correctly  With the hope of seing you soon I am your frnd &c  A. H. Jones.  Majr J. W. Fannin  Head Quarters near Bexar

On 21 Nov 1835, Lt.Gus Jones signed a letter along with over 60 others from the garrison of protest to Austin concerning removal of Capt. Dimmitt as their elected commander. In a letter to provisional governor Henry Smith written 31 Nov 1835 from San Felipe giving general advice for organization of the Texian army, James W. Fannin, recommended A.H. Jones as a "Gentleman, with whom I have served, & who I believe to be entitled to your especial notice"

Lt. Gus Jones arrived in Bexar presumably with Capt. Dimmitt's troops where he participated in the the Siege and Battle of Bexar in Dec 1835. He describes the action in a letter to his brother, W.E. Jones, from Cahawba (Cahaba), AL which is in DallasCo, the birthplace of his future wife Ann Roseanna Randle and her parents, Willis and Tabitha Huckaby Randle::

Near Cahawba, Ala., 15th Jan. 1836. Dear Brother:-I have just arrived at this place, direct from San Antonio, Texas, and some few particulars in relation to the storming and capture of that place may not be altogether uninteresting to you. History does not record a circumstance of the same nature, and perhaps never will another. The Texian troops had been encamped before San Antonio near two months without effecting any thing of importance, save daily skirmishing in which nothing was lost and little gained. (I must however make an exception to the battle of Conception in which Col. James W. Fannin commanded 92 men when surprised by 400 Mexicans, who lost as has since been ascertained 104 killed, and since died of wounds, while the Texian loss was one man killed only.) The Mexicans had 24 pieces of mounted artillary and 6 unmounted when the attack was made, which was brought on in the following manner: After giving them two months to fortify the Texian officers decided that it was impracticable and impossible to carry the fort by storm, and had issued orders for the whole army to march at sundown, with the intention of taking up winter quarters at La Bahia 100 miles to the Southward and near the coast. It was then about four o'clock, and from the noise in the camp it was apparent that a mutiny was on hand. At the time appointed to move, 300 men marched out and declared their intention of storming the fort that night. Many of the officers made speeches against the project, friends begged and extreated others not to throw away their lives foolishly, &c &c. All was in vain; no persuasion had any weight; a great many mounted their horses and left the Camp, expecting a total defeat. Next morning just at daylight the three hundred firm to their purpose marched to the attack headed by Col. Benjamin R. Milam who had been the principal in bringing about this manoevre. The action was severe until about ten o'clock; the Texians succeeded in getting possession of some large stone houses in which they remained four days keeping up a steady fire day and night. On the fifth night an assault was made on the fort itself, and they succeeded in driving the enemy therefrom and from the whole town with a very considerable loss, while the Texian loss was 4 killed and 15 wounded. Among the killed was Col. Milam whose loss is severely felt throughout Texas. The Mexicans surrendered all the arms and munitions of war, amounting to 30 pieces of artillery and a large number of small arms with a large amount of ammunition for both. The Mexicans were about 1200 strong while the conquerors were not exceeding 300. The main body of Texians were lying withing three quarters of a mile, and refused to assist, as they expected defeat to the last minute. There is not now an armed Mexican in the country. The above statement is strictly correct; I have a personal knowledge of all the particulars as I have the honor of being known as one of the 300. I have been in two other engagements, in one was shot through the boot, &c. in both successful. Mexicans can't stand the rifle. I am now in this place on business, and shall return to Texas in four days. Your brother &c. A. H. Jones To Wm. E. Jones

A.H. Jones was appointed a 1st Lt. in the official list of officers of the Regular Army appointed by General Council on 10 Mar 1836.  Capt. Jones is believed to have missed the subsequent battles of the Revolution after Bexar because he was away in the United States to raise funds and enlist men for the struggle against the centralist government of Mexico. He apparently owned and operated a store in Texana, Jackson County, Texas in 1838 where he did business with the army. Capt. Gus participated in the Battle of Salado in 1842 in response to Gen. Woll's invasion of San Antonio. His personal friendship with Capt. Jack Hays is the subject of a common incidence related by multiple participants in the battle in which Capt. Jones horse faltered in a pursuit by Mexicans and Capt. Hays paced the entire company to his speed so that he would not be overtaken alone by advanced Mexican cavalrymen.

The following letter in the Texas Archives B712 to a son in law in Mississippi from Sophia Jones, mother of Capt. Gus Jones, after the death of her husband and division of their property, describes the trip to Texas in 1839:

Gonzales County, Feb 3, 1841   Dr. Cunningham  Thinking you would like to hear form us & know what we have been doing since we saw you I take this opportunity of writing you.  We sold our land & things (or rather gave them away) & took a negro man woman & boy at a high price in part payment, left Jackson the 6th of Nov. 1839.  Came on to Natches Miss.  There Augustus & his wife left took the man & boy to New Orleans [unreadable]ion with [unreadable] along through the rain and mud until we reached San Felippia, Texas, with only eight [unreadable-horses?] just half the number we left Georgia with.  Augustus he then [unreadable-hired?] out ten men, 4 women & 10 children rented a place 12 miles from town on the Brassos River & the rest of us went there & staid until November [unreadable] on the [unreadable] & paying Dr. Bills.  Mr. Jones was taken with chills & fever & it terminated in [unreadable] by inflammation on the Stomach & Bowels after sickness of but five days.  William's youngest child (Augustus) went pretty much the same way.  Sophia was twice salivating to save her life just so a lot of the family was sick during the summer.   The negroes that were [unreadable] but a very [unreadable] as they were badly [unreadable] also very sick.  During this time William & Augustus came out on the Guadalupe River about ?0 miles from the Brassos & purchased a half League of land (which we are now living upon) & agreed to give 3300 dollars for [unreadable] was to have paid 1000 dollars last January & the Balance when the Titles are given which we think will not be given in less than five years.  About the middle of Jan. the two older children (contrary to my wish) concluded to make a final division of the whole Estate.  There were at this time two of the children entitled to their first share of the property the same the older ones had received which I proposed to give off to them.   But it was thought best to divide the whole.  They then went forward & valued the negroes at a higher rate than Mr. Jones had ever done when dividing off property to his first children.  He valued men at $500, women $400 [unreadable]tion.   The older children valued men at $800 & women from $600 to $650 & the blacksmith & tools at $1000.  Old men, women & children in the same proportion.  They bought the land & had commenced improvement before Mr. Jones death.  When we moved out here they had the frame of a very large house put up & the roof nearly over two cabins, 1 kitchen & a blacksmith shop in connection with it but not a chimney on the place.  This they agreed to give me my life-time at my death it will be divided among the heirs.  They divided the negroes into eight equal shares & allowed me my choice from them all.  The seven remaining Heirs [unreadable] for what was left (I drew for you).  William [unreadable] put back the amount of his deduction in a debt against the Estate of about $700 & the remainder in negroes.   He put back two thousand dollars in negroes for you.  Augustus put back for his two thousand a debt against the Estate of $895 a Legacy of five hundred & a negro boy.  You have Seaburn Bob's child about 14 years of age & as smart a boy as I ever saw also two of Jerry's children.  Louisa about 7 years & Jeffrey about 5 years of age.  They then valued all the perishable property belonging to the Estate & we all bought of it.  Altho the Will by mistake does not call for any deduction from Augustus part, He allowed it to be done acknowledging the receipt of the same.   They gave me one man, woman, one girl & two children, one third of the blacksmith, one third of a girl about five years of age & this woman we got for land in Georgia they have set aside to help pay for land.  She was divided into seven equal shares.  Your part was accounted for in your negroes.  I will now give you a copy of the will & most earnestly solicit your candid opinion on this subject whether or not I am obliged to abide by what has been done & if some provision cant be made for Sophia as there was for Augustus neglected education.  [unreadable] Sophia never had any [unreadable] or anything [unreadable] now is left without decent cl[unreadable].

In the name of God Amen I Russell Jones of the county of Jackson & State of Georgia Do make & declare this to be my last will & Testament.  First it is my desire that all my just debts be paid.  Secondly, it is my Will that all my property remain together for the purpose of raising & educating my four younger children viz Russell, Letitia, Isham whose Education is to be such as my Executors may direct.  I give to my loving wife Sophia Jones one eighth part of my Estate, further having given to my son in law William Montgomery what I conceive to be a proportional part of my Estate, I give him nothing more.  I give to my son William E. Jones one eight part of my estate deducting there from the sum of Two Thousand dollars.   Further I give unto my son Augustus H. Jones one other eighth part of my Estate & also the Sum of Five Hundred dollars in lieu of his neglected Education to be paid out of my undivided Estate.  I give unto my four youngest children (to Wit) Russell, Lettitia, Isham & Sophia each one other part of my Estate to be paid to them as they may beocme of age or marry.  I do hereby appoint my loving wife Sophia Jones Executrix & my son in Law James M. Cunningham & Middleton Witt Esquire Executors of this my Last Will & Testament.  Signed, Sealed & acknowledged this sixteenth day of April Eighteen Hundred & thirty-Six in the presence of Samuel Barnett.   Russell Jones   James R. Barnett   William Appleby

If it is in your power to come I want you to do so as soon as possible & also bring Emily with you.  You ought to come & look at the country as it is beautiful land & I know you would be pleased with it.  If I had the means you would very soon see me in Mis. but as I have not you must come to me.   Write as soon as possible.  We are waiting for your opinion on this will.   I have also written to Brother Buck for his.  I have many things to write but my paper fails.  I will only state that Lettitia is married to a gentle from Augusta, Ga, by the name of Smith who came for that purpose.  I remain yours Sophia Jones.

Envelope [some illegible} addressed to Dr. James M. Cunningham, Macon, [unreadable] Mississippi; marked Estate in lower left; upper left Gonzales, Febry 14th; postmark New Orleans, date unreadable.

Ann Roseanna Randle, was under legal guardianship of William E. Jones and her half-sister Caroline Randle Jones in Jackson County, Georgia when Captain Gus Jones returned apparently returned from Texas to marry her on 8 Oct 1839 after which the family proceeded overland to New Orleans and San Felipe as described above in mother Sophy Jones letter of 1841. The Jones family was living in the Peach Creek District of Gonzales County, TX at the 1850 census: A.H. Jones 39, born GA, net worth $17000, Ann 26 b. TN, William 9 b. TX, James 5, Sophia 3, Augustus 1 month. Sophia Jones, widow of Russell Jones, Jr was also listed in the census with the family at age 60 b. GA. Others living with the family were Joshua Threadgill 45 b. NC, A.J. Berton 21 b. TN and Barry Anderson 5 b. TX.  It has been speculated that A.J. Berton listed here was Anthony Jackson Burton, a half-brother to Ann Roseanna Randle.

John Henry Brown in The Indian Wars and Pioneers of Texas relates an incident concerning Mrs. Sophy Jones, mother of Capt. Gus Jones and writer of the above letter about their trip to Texas from Georgia. In the unsuccessful pursuit of rebel, Vicente C�rdova, in March 1839, by Capt. Caldwell's force, Ben McCulloch was attracted to one of the numerous wounded horses abandoned by Cordova and his band on the return home:

" slow marches took him home, where, under good treatment, he entirely recovered, to become famous as 'Old Pike,' McCulloch's favorite and pet as long as he lived--a fast racer of rich chestnut color, sixteen hands high, faultless in disposition and one of the most sagacious horses ever known in the country. The tips of his ears had been split about an inch, proving his former ownership by one of the Indian tribes. Returning from a brief campaign in June, 1841, when at a farm house (that of Mrs. Sophia Jones), eight miles from Gonzales, the rifle of an old man Triplett, lying across his lap on horseback, with the rod in the barrel, accidentally fired, driving the ramrod into Old Pike's shoulder blade, not over four feet distant. The venerable Mrs. Jones (mother of four brothers, William E., Augustus H., Russell and Isham G. Jones), wept over the scene as she gazed upon the noble animal in his agonizing pain, and strong men wept at what they supposed to be the death scene of Old Pike. But it was not so. He was taken in charge by Mrs. Jones; the fragments of the shattered ramrod, one by one, extracted, healthy suppuration brought about; and, after about three months careful nursing, everyone in that section rejoiced to know that Old Pike 'was himself again.' "

Leonard Grace and Ben McCulloch later presented Old Pike to Capt. Jack Hays who rode him in the Sommervell Expedition in December 1842 where he and Lipan Chief, Flacco, were able out of a field of 25 horses to chase down and capture two Mexican scouts in a dead heat between the Nueces and Laredo.

The parents of Capt. Gus Jones, Russell Jones Jr. (b. abt 1785 WilkesCo, NC--d. 1840, San Felipe, AustinCo, TX) and Sophia Harris (b. 1793 Franklin Co, GA--d. 6 Jun 1862 GonzalesCo, TX) who married 2 Nov 1806, had children described below. [Family letters written in 1841 indicate that Russell Jones (II) most likely died between 23 Sep and Nov 1840.  A letter from widow Sophia states the family left Jackson, GA in Nov 1839 and stayed on the Brazos near San Felipe until Nov, presumably 1840, the period just preceding which family members were extremely sick and Mr. Jones probably died.   A letter from daughter Letitia Jones Smith, who married 23 Sep 1840 states "after I was married & went to Matagorda, the old man died...."]

Isham Green Jones married Minerva DeWitt, daughter of Empresario Green DeWitt, founder of the DeWitt Colony. They had five children Isham G. Jones (d. abt 1898 BrazoriaCo), Minnie Jones (m. William Mooney Dilworth, Bucklen (Buckner) H. Jones, Charles Jones and DeWitt D. Jones (m. Kate Branch) . Isham Jones, referred to as Ice Jones in some accounts, served with Capt. Caldwell at the Battle of Salado.  Isham Green and family were counted in the 1850 Census of GonzalesCo, Peach Creek District, living next to brother Augustus H. Jones (household 15-15) and near brother Russell III (household 13-13) as household 16-16:  Jones, I.G., 26, m, $5,000, Ga., 650, Nov. 2; Jones, m, 20, f, Texas, 650, Nov. 2; Jones, Charles, 3, m, Texas, 650, Nov. 2; Jones, Dewitt, 1, m, Texas, 650, Nov. 2; Stevens, Henry, 21, m, N.C., 650, Nov. 2.  Isham Jones served as Captain in the C. I. Terry Rangers/8 Texas Cavalry and served 8 months before he was wounded. He died in 1867 of complications due to a bullet wound in his lung.  Wife Minerva filed Confederate Pension Application No. 7827 that was approved by the Texas Comptroller on 20 Mar 1901.  

William Early Jones (b. 1810 GA-1871 Llano, LlanoCo, TX) served the young Republic of Texas extensively in public office, legal matters and the newspaper business. He married on 31 Dec 1827 in HancockCo, GA, Caroline Randle, daughter of James and Roseanna Randle.   Caroline was a half-sister of Ann Roseanna Randle who married W.E. Jones' brother, Augustus Harris.  W.E. Jones served in the Georgia legislature before coming to Gonzales in 1839 or 1840. He was an editor of the Augusta, GA Chronicle and Sentinel and Constitutionalist at one time. He served in the 6th Congress, was taken prisoner in General Woll's capture of San Antonio on 11 Sep 1842 where he was attending court and imprisoned in Perote Prison in Mexico until release on 22 Mar 1843. He served in the 8th Congress of the Republic and was a Judge for numerous years in the 4th Judicial District in Seguin. Jones opposed annexation of Texas. He founded Guadalupe College, was opposed to secession which brought political disfavor to him, but served for two years as Captain in the Confederate Frontier Company in South Texas. He was the first editor of the San Antonio Express. He was stricken with a seizure and died while on the bench in court in Llano on 18 Apr 1871 and was buried in Georgetown, WilliamsonCo, TX.

Augustus Harris and Ann Roseanna Randle Jones had children William Earl (1841-1900) (m. Augusta Rector then Emma: children: William & Mary), Laura (1843-1844), Emily (1845-1845), James Cunningham (1846-1882) (m. Alice Hollingsworth:children: Alice, Marian, William E., Augustus H.), Ann Sophia (1848-1936) (m. Lewis Buckner Allen:children: William Augustus, Earl Allen, Kate Allen, Anna Randle), Augustus Harris Jr. (1850-1852) and Charles Randle (1851-1881).  The family was counted in the 1850 Census in GonzalesCo, Peach Creek District as household 15-15, living next to brother I.G. Jones (household 16-16), with mother Sophia Jones and adopted nephew, Barry G. Anderson:

15-15.  Jones, Augustus H., 39, m, $12,000, Ga., 650, Nov. 2; Jones, Ann R., 26, f, Tenn., 650, Nov. 2; Jones, Wm., 9, m Texas, 650, Nov. 2; Jones, James, 5, m Texas, 650, Nov. 2; Jones, Sophia, 3, f, Texas, 650, Nov. 2; Jones, Augusta, 1/12, m, Texas, 650, Nov. 2; Jones, Sophia, 60, f, Ga., 650, Nov. 2; Anderson, Barry G., 5, m, Texas, 650, Nov. 2; Berton, A.J., 21, m, Tenn., 650, Nov. 2; Thredgill, Joshua, 42, m, N.C., 650, Nov. 2.

Capt. Gus Jones married second Julia A. Hatchett in 1853 who died in 1854 at age 21. In the Augustus Jones family Bible:

"This tablet is in memory of Mrs. Julia A. Jones is placed here by him who knew and loved her virtues, they will be remembered while life lasts, if faults she had they were never known."

Capt. Jones married third Minerva A. Lewis Hudson and they had children Addie, Sue, Kate, Zula and Augustus Harris Jones Jr. The latter was a mayor of San Antonio. 

Russell Jones III (1821 GA-1860 GonzalesCo, TX).  Russell married Margaret Ann Brown in 1844 in GonzalesCo, TX.  Margaret Brown was the daughter of Capt. Henry S. Brown and Margaret Kerr Jones.  The family was counted in the 1850 Census of GonzalesCo, Peach Creek District near brothers Augustus H. and I.G. Jones:  13-13, Jones, Russel, 29, m, Merchant, $5,000, Ga., 650, Nov. 2; Jones, Margaret, 24, f, Mo., 650, Nov. 2; Jones, Mary C., 4, f, Texas, 650, Nov. 2; Jones, Ann M., 2, f, Texas, 650, Nov. 2.

Emily I. Jones married James M. Cunningham. They apparently remained in Macon, NoxubeeCo, MS according to correspondence from the family in Texas.

Letitia D. Jones married David (Levi) E. Smith on 23 Sep 1840 in AustinCo, TX.  The following letter from Letitia Smith of 1841 in the Texas Archives B721 to her uncle and aunt in MS for mother Sophia reveals insight into Sophia Jones' opinion of the above division of the Jones estate and Letitia's own thoughts on the early Texas environment:

Gonzales County, July 10th 1841    Dr. Cunningham   I am requested by Ma to answer your letter which she received a day or two since to state to you in the most pasative manner, that she cannot & will not stand the division of property as made by her two sons.  She says she considers it in every point of view unjust in the extreme not only to herself but in particular to Isham & Sophia as they have received but little Education.  She wishes me to state to you the manner in which the property was divided.  After I was married & went to Matagorda, the old man died & that without having given me off any property as Mr. Smith had not determined whether to remain in Texas or go back to the States.  Ma she wrote to him about the death of the old man & the situation the family was in.  He then left me in M. & came out here with the family & by Ma's request sold out in Matagorda & moved up to Gonzales, to live & farm it a year of so with them.  We had not been here very long before the boys wanted to make a final division of Fathers Estate.  Ma objected.  So did Mr. Smith & myself.  William said it must be done.  Augustus said the same.  Russell consented to it & after some time disputing about it Ma told them to go forward & do so & if she thought justice had been done she would consent & if not she would have nothing to do with it.  (& such a mess you never saw.)  They first divided the negroes into eight parts & agreed to give Ma her choice of the lots & the children all to draw afterwards.  She chose Maria and her family on account of her sight being so bad which was Bailey, Maria their two children & Malinda with an intrest of a third of Henry & Sarah (one of Cynthia's little girls).  William brought an account against the Estate & drew Scott, Bryant, Green, Myre & Levi.   Augustus also brought an account against the Estate & drew Jerry, Ham & their children.  Russell drew Ike, Cynthia, Isaac, Benjamin, Leah & two children.   I drew the most detestable family on Earth which you well know (Viz) Old Bold, bel, Soloman, Lucinda (by paying over a hundred dollars for her) & Bob's three little children.  I did not get any young woman as the others did.  Isham drew Coleman, Matt, Old Jack, Nelson, Julian with an intrest of a thrid of Henry & Sarah.   Sophia drew Old Linda, Dilsy, Griffin, Mary & two children with an intrest of a third of Henry & Sarah.  Ma drew for you Seborn a boy abot 14 years of age & two of Jerry's children viz Louisa & Jeffrey.  Each share amounting to about 2500 dollars---the valuation of the negroes was different from that which the old man had made.   Negro men 800 dollars women from 600 to 650 dollars & the rest in proportion.   It is by this high valuation that Ma thinks she & the children have been cheated out of their just dues & such large accounts being brought against the Estate by W. & A. as she has boarded their families almost ever since they came to Texas.   She thinks that it is very hard that Augustus was allowed 800 dollars for his neglected Education & Sophia not a cent for hers----Ma has spent a most miserable life ever since she left Georgia.  She has undergone more than she ever did before.   About the time the property was divided she was taken with a swimming in her head which we thought would very soon carry her to her grave.  (She says it was brought on by the trouble.)  Since that she has been in tolerable good health.  She would leave Texas any hour if she [unreadable] doing it & could carry her negroes [unreadable] If the family had been any place bu[unreadable] property would never have been divided abo[unreadable] not cost W. & A. anything as W. is a Lawye[unreadable] & take every cent the rest of us have to [unreadable] as there is either justice nor mercy [unreadable] just as well give a man your prope[unreadable] go to Law.  Ma says write as soon as [unreadable] this & give her your opinion differently [unreadable] did when you wrote & tell her what [unreadable] entirely dependant on you for advice [unreadable] still living at Mas.  Mr. Smith bought a [unreadable] about twelve miles from her & is n[unreadable] You wanted to know why I did not write to you.  I have written twice since I left Georgia and concluded that you and Emily had forgotten how to write.  I wrote to you just before I was married & told you every thing about it.  How the Old Lady kicked up a row because Mr. Smith was not rich.  I intend to write you a long letter if you don't come to see us before long & tell you everything about it.  You never even told us your boys name when you wrote.   Augustus has had a boy since Ma wrote to you.  Dr. if you don't want to see trouble never bring your family to live in Texas.  If we could sell what we have we would very soon leave it for there is nothing but Mexicans, Indians, Rascals & Thieves here to associate with.  I must stop for the want of room.  Sophia is as large as I am & has a heap of Texas beaus---next thing you hear she will be married I expect.  Write as soon as possible & tell Emily to do the same.  I want very much to see you all & especially little red headed Ninny as we called her in Georgia.   I remain your affec, Letitia Smith. 

Envelope addressed to Dr. James M. Cunningham, Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi, U. States.  At top is written Gonzales, August 6th.  Stamped postmark Aug 22, New Orleans, LA.

Sophia Jones (1828-abt 1846) married John D. Anderson in abt 1843 in TX.  According to the Handbook of Texas, John D. Anderson (1819-1849) was born in PittsylvaniaCo, Virginia, on 21 Jun 1819. the son of Dr. Thomas and Chloe Glascock Anderson.  He and his father arrived in Texas with his brother, Washington Anderson, at Port Lavaca in Feb 1835 and settled in Benjamin R. Milam's colony. He was a member of Jesse Billingsley's company and served in the rear guard at Harrisburg at San Jacinto.   On 5 Feb 1844, he became district attorney for the Fourth Judicial District and a member of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Texas by appointment of President Sam Houston  He was a delegate to the Convention of 1845 from Gonzales and a veteran of the War with Mexico in 1846 and a member of the Second State Legislature from GonzalesCo in 1847. After Sophia's death, he married  [Jan 1847] Ellen P. Erskine (daughter of Michael H. Erskine owner of the Jos� de la Baume Ranch on the Guadalupe River).  He died 15 Apr 1849 and is buried in the Erskine family cemetery near Capote Ranch. Washington Anderson served in Capt. Jesse Billingsley's company on the field in the battle of San Jacinto where he was wounded.  An article in the Houston Chronicle contended that "The old pioneer Wash Anderson was the true hero of San Jacinto, although history gives him no praise. Wash was never known to shout 'go on' in battle, but was always known to say 'come on' instead. He had more to do with turning the tide of the battle than Sam Houston did."  John D. and Washington Anderson's grandfather was Capt. Richard Anderson from VA who served in the Continental Army in the American Revolution.

According to descendants, Sophia and John D. Anderson had a son Barry G. Anderson.  After her death in about 1846, her mother, Sophia Harris Jones, gained custody of Barry.  She later lived with her son Augustus Jones and Capt. Gus Jones became Barry's guardian. Barry Anderson married Isabelle Monroe on 29 Nov 1870 and they had three children: William Dilworth (12 Dec 1871-28 Jun 28 1953; Barry, Jr. (b. 1874), and Molly, who died in infancy.  Barry and a partner E.T. Stevens invested all their assets into a cattle ranch near Seymour, TX and were ruined in a panic in 1889-1890.  For a time Barry was a policeman in Wichita Falls, but it is said that he never recovered financially which broke him personally and he died in Apr 1893.  Son William Dilworth supported the family causing him to forego an appointment to West Point.  William D. graduated from Texas A&M in the class of 1890.   Family historians say that Barry Anderson received a large grant of land from his father John D. Anderson on which is now in the town of Bastrop.  The plot was apparently disposed of by his guardian, Augustus Jones.  A John D. Anderson received 640 acres of land in ComalCo for his service at Harrisburg (San Jacinto) and 320 acres for military service in 1836 in HoodCo which was patented to heirs of John Murchison in 1853.

[Some records suggest that a Thomas Jones married Margaret Connelly lived in MadisonCo, GA then late in life moved to MadisonCo where he lived with a daughter according to census may have been a son or closely related.]

David Burket-Index
� 1997-2006, Wallace L. McKeehan, All Rights Reserved